Self Care Exercises
Every day during your program you should do 1 self care exercise. You can pick from the list below. Work through ALL of them. If you find a favorite stick with it!
Techniques to use:
- Mirror Work -
- Get in a quiet area - I like to light a white candle signifying GOD’s presence in my life, and to help the subconscious know I am working on “SELF”.
- On paper - on the top write “What I like about myself”
- List all the things you LIKE about yourself. I’m kind, My eyes, I’m honest - whatever comes to mind. There is no limit to how many you have to write.
- YES this is a time to brag…to feel confident…to be your own best friend.
- NO ONE else is going to read this!!
- If you are having issues with this…go to a friend and have them HELP you come up with some LIKES about yourself.
- In a few days…..mark out LIKE and replace with LOVE and now STATE those LOVES out loud while looking in the mirror. “ I LOVE my kindness, I LOVE my eyes” etc.
2. The 5 second Rule - start this today!
(I use this ALL the time now - even when I wake in the middle of the night and have monkeys running through my brain. When i catch myself riding on a train of negative thoughts running through my head - it works!)
- If you can count 5 – 4 – 3 – 2 – 1, you can change your life.
- The moment you feel yourself hesitate (when you know you should do something) start counting backward at a normal pace “ 5-4-3-2-1”, then think a new thought. The Rule is a PROVEN, form of metacognition. When you use it, you shift mental gears. You reset your thought pattern, by interrupting your habit of overthinking, then awakening your pre-frontal cortex – making change easy. The rule acts as a “starting ritual” that breaks bad habits and triggers positive new behavior change. Watch her video above and try it - It works!
- Find a quiet place where you can spend about 5 minutes.
- Here’s an idea - do this on your bathroom break at work. Nobody will be the wiser--and you are just sitting there anyway!
- Set a timer for three minutes - you can use your phone.
- Sit upright in a chair or lie on a comfortable surface.
- Close your eyes and breathe regularly at first, then more slowly and deeply for eight breaths.
- Now deepen your breath. Notice anything that feels tight, blocked, or stuck.
- Use your breath to imagine massaging out that tension or releasing the blockage. Is there anything in your life that you associate with the tension you're holding? let the answer right to the surface and just listen.
- Now ask your body if there's anything you need to know.
- Listen for the answer, and if you're inspired, jot it down to return to in the future as a note to self.
5. Forgiveness Prayer
- Then move to others. Start with the first name, and progress to full name.
- Saying this each day for 30 days, will create a major shift in emotional, spiritual and physical body.
- Checkout - 5 minute miracle guided meditation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfw-rJUvy4
- Healing Meditation - 6 mins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEYnJ7mxy7Y
- Loving Kindness Meditation 6 mins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjfCS88Gc7Q
7. Stay present Exercise
- Sit quietly, and for a minutes simply notice all the sounds around you.
- When you wash the dishes, focused only on the sound and feel of the water in the dish -you’re holding. Practice this with other chores as well.
- Savor the aroma and taste of your food for one minute of your next meal.
- If you're attention wanders, Bring it back. It's that easy. Stay present.
These are just a few of my favorites. There are many more available online. Please feel free to research your own, you do not have to use mine to be successful. The important part is that you adopt a self - care plan!